Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Goldie Locks and the 3 shorts

Ah shorts. Not one of my favorite things, but when it is 90+ and humid here you rarely have another choice. I usually prefer a cute, flowy skirt or sundress, but life and activities with kids doesn't always make those a practical choice.

The biggest problem I have found (post 3 children and over 30) is what is the appropriate AND flattering length ? This is where the Goldie Locks post title comes in - I often feel like her when looking for shorts - 'this pair is too short, this pair is too long, oh but this pair is just right! 

My favorite trend in shorts this year is all the fun prints!! It makes a basic short look more fun and can be a bit dressier. Stripes, polka dots, geometric and florals.


First I'll say that for my body type, I prefer a structured short. Any drawstring, pleat, silk or flowy short is out for me (that is just me - again if you like them on you that is wonderful). Length - Here is my rule for short shorts - if you bend over and can see your butt hanging out, they are too short.  Butt peak-age aside, if you have some kick ass legs and want to wear some short shorts - rock on with your bad self. 

The easiest way to evaluate shorts is by the inseam - most of the time it is listed on the shorts or in the description online. There is the 3" inseam - this might feel too short for some people. I am short (5'2" on my very best day) and so this length is okay for me, but the 5" inseam is a bit more comfortable depending on the day. Then the next step is the 7" inseam - harder to find, but Old Navy does have some - I imagine this might be to 'average height' people what the 5" is to me. And finally the 9-10" or official 'Bermuda'. I did buy a pair of these after kid #3 when I swore off shorts forever, and they have grown on me. When wearing the longer shorts, I like to balance it with super feminine pieces - like the tops I posted about yesterday . Or If paired with a blouse and cardigan and some flats I think it can have a cute, retro feel.  I would always prefer to wear a wedge or some elevated shoe with my shorts, but that is sometimes counter-intuitive to the reason I'm wearing shorts in the first place, like to go to the park with the kids. 



So join me and Goldie Locks this summer on our quest for the shorts that are 'just right'. 

First photo: Animal print and geometric print from INC at Macys, Orange polka dots Old Navy, and Blue Print The Limited. 
Second photo: white 3" (Target), navy 5" (Target), taupe 10" (Old Navy)


No comments:

Post a Comment