Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Suit That Suits You

Well summer is in full swing, and I just got back from the beach, so I feel compelled to share some thoughts on swim suits. 

The first thing that comes to mind is that there are so many more options than there used to be. Anything goes. So first and foremost, pick a suit that suits you. Who cares what "everyone else" is wearing? Choose one that you like, that you are comfortable in, and that is flattering for your body (this applies to all clothes really). I LOVED the message in this blog post I saw circulating - put on that suit and play with your kids. 

Swim suits are like separates these days. Your top and bottom do not have to match! How liberating! We are not all the same size on top and bottom - another great reason to purchase them separately. I found a top I loved at Nordstrom, but the bottoms that came with the suit didn't fit right, so I found some simple ones at Target that coordinated with the top and viola - half the price and they fit me better.  Buying your suit this way also allows you more flexibility - buy some neutral bottoms and two different tops to get more bang for your buck. And you can choose the size or style that fits your body. Pick a triangle/string bikini top and hipster bottoms, or a string bikini bottom with a halter top. 

One-pieces are making a come back!! I didn't quite believe it when I heard it last year, but they made it back this year. I struggle with the one-piece because of my specific body proportions (short torso) BUT I have not tried really hard to find one - I'm sure there is one out there. And of course there is always the tankini that can be worn like a one-piece. And the skirt - I remember thinking as a teenager that I would "never" wear a swimsuit with a skirt because it screamed "mom"  - but never say never. I think they are so cute these days - a bit shorter than back in the day and super cute  - Target called this a "skirtini"  - I'll go for it. I think it can make your behind look cute flirty. 

A few other trends I see...
- The bra top seems to be making a come back - you know the kind that looks like an underwire bra? I like this style for push up and for full coverage and support - make sure it doesn't gape at the top. 

- I love the fringe bandeau top or ruffle top to help those of us with a little less up top. Try them on - not all fringe is created equally.

- Retro cut, high-waist bottoms. I'm not sure if these are super wearable, but I love that it makes such a statement. If I had a real party to go to and had to wear a swim suit - I would pick this - adorable from Top Shop/Nordstrom. 

a lot more cheek. I am all about being proud of your ass-ets, but be careful where you wear them. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but I am not a fan of the ruching in the crack. 

If you aren't sure what you like or what fits - try them on!!! Order them online from some place that has free returns. Make sure to pay attention if there are specific instructions with returning swimwear - you know keep that piece of tape in the bottom. 

Happy Summer - Happy Swimming!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment