Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Putting it all together

I love putting outfits together. It genuinely energizes me. The best analogy I can come up with, is to compare it to cooking. Some people love to open a fridge or pantry, look at all the ingredients and whip them up into wonderful, delicious combinations. Clothes are my ingredients. I love to experiment, mix and match, and create. I am terrible with actual ingredients. 

I felt like I nailed it the other day. This was a new mix for me out of things I have had in my closet for awhile. I had thought about throwing on a navy or denim jacket over the dress, but I still thought it was missing some flavor. Turns out it was mustard! Too much with the food analogy? 

navy and white polka-dot belted shirt dress
red patent leather shoes
mustard yellow cardigan with gold trim
animal print purse (not pictured) - I couldn't figure out how to hold it and look normal taking my selfie.



When adding or mixing colors, I usually start with the main color of the item I want to wear - for example - navy dress. Then I think about where I can add colors - shoes, purse, scarf, sweater, jacket, jewelry. I add one piece/color at a time until I feel like the look is complete. Colors don't have to match - just coordinate. Get rid of any color 'rules' in your head. 

Here are a few outfits I pulled from my closet to try and show you want I mean. Fall and Winter make it super easy to add color with a scarf or jacket. 








No comments:

Post a Comment